Baker Brook Conference on the Theriault Family titled
The ‘Association des familles Thériault d’Amérique’ and the ‘Terriot Acadian Family Society’ together will hold a Conference in Baker Brook, NB on August 16 to discuss the migration of the Theriault family to the Madawaska region from 1790 to 1890. The conference will be hosted by the ‘Société historique et culturelle de Baker Brook’ at the Saint Heart of Mary Catholic parish church in Baker Brook. The guest speaker is J. Ralph Theriault, a native son of ‘Sainte Luce’, Upper Frenchville, Maine, whose book “Destination: Madawaska” was published in 2009 by the ‘Société historique du Madawaska’ in Edmundston, NB.
Please note that all times expressed in this article are in ATLANTIC (NEW BRUNSWICK) TIME.
The bilingual conference is scheduled to take place Saturday morning, August 16 starting at 10am and finishing at 12 noon. The sponsors invite all members of the Theriault family and the members of the open public to attend. Admission is free, however seats will be reserved only for those who register in advance for the conference. Donations will be accepted at the door to support the work of the local history society, the Société historique et culturelle de Baker Brook.
Register on our Registration Page.
Lunch will follow the conference at noon. The lunch by the local historical society will be available to conference attendees and is priced at $18.
After lunch at 1pm, Mr. Theriault will conduct a 45-minute walking tour of Baker Brook which will focus on the mills of Baker Brook beginning with the Nathan Baker mill, followed by the mills of Don Fraser, Joseph & Joachim Theriault and James Murchie. The tour will be based on Mr. Theriault’s research for his upcoming book “Moulins du Madawaska” to be published in 2015.
In addition, the sponsoring organizations have organized three other walking tours including St. Basile, St. Jacques and Ste Luce (Upper Frenchville) which all focus on the Theriault settlers. Admission to the tours is also free however please register with us to help us with our planning.
The schedule of events is as follows :
- WALKING TOUR OF ST BASILE, NB; Friday, 15 August, 1130-15:30 hr, village history, lunch, Religieuse Hositalière de St Joseph Convent, Art Gallery.
- BAKER BROOK CONFERENCE; Saturday, 16 August, 1000-1200 hr, Conférencier: J. Ralph Theriault, “Migration of Theriault family to Madawaska territory and some of the ‘movers and shakers’ of the family”. Presentation in French.
- BAKER BROOK LUNCH; Saturday, 16 August, 1200-1300 hr: 18$, Baker Brook, NB.
- WALKING TOUR OF BAKER BROOK; Saturday, 16 August, 1300-1400 hr, mill history.
- THERIAULT FAMILY REUNION; Saturday, 16 August, 1600-2200 hr (3-9 pm EDT), Theriault history, dinner, entertainment. (More details later.)
- WALKING TOUR OF ST JACQUES; Sunday, 17 August, 1130-1230, Charles Terriau history, Theriault milling history.
- WALKING TOUR OF STE LUCE; Sunday, 17 August, 1500-1600 hr (2-3pm EDT), Upper Frenchville, Maine; parish and Theriault migration history